“Find out who you are, and do it on purpose”
– Dolly Parton
For some of you reading this, you have already entered 2019. With less than 10 hours to go, from the part of the world that I am writing from, I find it hard to pen down words to bid goodbye to this phenomenal year.
And so before I say goodbye, I thought why not make the best of it, one last time?
2018 has been that additional best friend that I did not know I needed. I have so much to share about this best friend that I do not know where or how to begin. But let me start with the highlights of 2018!
Set out to get a Master’s
A decision that changed my life, helped me grow each day, made me understand myself, and also taught me that a year can make a world of a difference.
Found a family away from home
Each one of them, in their own unique way taught me things about life that I will be lucky to hold on to!
EXPLORED THE WORLD (Thanks for the credit card, Dad!)
8 Countries. 3 Continents. 20 + Flights. 50 + trains. A few Buses. Endless Ubers
Explored the world of Dating
Only to realize…
(Found a better way to say, ‘I am still single!’)
Went home to my other family
Somewhere in the middle of all this, I tried to do my dissertation….
SWISS CHALET LIFE
Made Mom and Dad Proud (Valedictorian + Academic Topper! WHAT?!)
Growing up, my dad would always ask me, “So who topped?” I would have a list of answers prepared before hand, “I think she has a better tutor”, “You know I was sick during that exam, so my percentage went down”, “But dad, its math!” My father never asked me why I did not top, I always felt the reason to justify why someone else did. Considering this is probably the last time I will study, I wasn’t aware that this time I wouldn’t have to prepare an answer.
And like Dolly Parton said, I have been blessed to have a year filled with self discovery. A year of forming new relations to last a lifetime. The opportunity to travel the world and meet new people, explore new cultures. A chance to study in a different country and realize my true self. It has been a year of endless possibilities.
My quirky highlights of the year:
- Having Vada Pav with my uncle during my transit from Mumbai to Geneva
- Spending 9 hours in the lounge at Abu Dhabi
- Making drone movies
- Completing a 23,000 word dissertation
- Going to Winter Wonderland in London
- Being Broke in Monaco
- Having Dosa in Paris
- Trying every possible flavor of Fondue
- Making snow angels (I lasted for 5 seconds)
- Trying to walk on ice without skidding
- Falling asleep during the first half of the movie Venom (Thank you $20 recliner seats!)
- Witnessed a Live Game of Thrones Concert in Chicago
- Stayed at Grand Kempinski, Geneva because my flight got cancelled (without having to pay a penny)
- Went from Switzerland to France in 33 Minutes.
2018: What I learnt:
- If you are taking a train in Europe, don’t just check the train number and platform, but also which compartment you need to be on!
- Les Roches: you were everything I wanted and so much more (despite the fact that you are situated on another planet)
- Switzerland is more expensive than you anticipate (travelers, please note)
- There is abundance of unconditional love, laughter and support to go around
- You are so much more than you give yourself credit for!
- Do what makes your heart swell!
- There is no greater satisfaction than seeing your parents smile endlessly because of you.
- Fondue is the food coma you need in your life.
- You can never have too much Hot Wine
- Don’t be afraid to try new things!
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
– Mark Twain
HAPPY 2019 TO EVERYONE! YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY LOVELY, PHENOMENAL AND EXTRAORDINARY!